Thursday, September 2, 2010

2010-2011 Curriculum picks… a work in progress

This will probably be changed and added to a hundred times but this is the plan for now…

Mustard Seed (3 years old):

In addition to the list below, he will be around for most of Cinnamon’s lessons. I am sure he will pick up some things from that too.

Basic Preschool Skills-

Cutting, gluing, coloring, shapes, colors, alphabet sounds, numbers, etc. I will mostly be using the wonderful things that have been created by Confessions of a Homeschooler as well as Home Grown Hearts. I will also be reading a lot of books and we will be playing a lot of games.

Cinnamon (5 almost 6 years old):

Cinnamon will be welcome to participate in all of our Toddler activities as well as…

Math:

We are using Math-U-See for Math, I wrote about this here.

Science:

Our choice for Science is

Exploring Creation With Astronomy (Young Explorers)

I have heard so many wonderful things about Apologia. I know that my kids and I are going to love these books.

Language Arts:

We will use

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

and

Bob Books, Set 1: Beginning Readers

We have already started this and I am so impressed! My daughter begs to do more then one lesson a day! We will begin the Bob books about halfway thru the book.

Art:

We will be using

Artistic Pursuits Book One: The Elements of Art And Composition

and

Drawing with Children

this year. We are starting with the preschool Artistic pursuits called:

The Way They See It: A Book for Every Parent About the Art Children Make

We will then move on to K-3 Book 1. My daughter wants to be an artist when she grows up, so I will be putting a special emphasis on art. We will also be making “Beautiful Junk” a couple of times a week. Basically I will give them “Junk” (paper towel rolls, cereal boxes, old ribbons, etc). With a little tape or glue you have “Beautiful Junk”.

Music:

We will use…

Stories of the Great Composers (Book & CD) (Learning Link)

We do a lot of singing and dancing as well as play with percussion instruments. So that will count as music too.

Geography:

We will be using

Around the World in 180 Days (2-volume set)

as well as Expedition Earth from Confessions of a Homeschooler. My children are going to love filling up their passports!

History:

We will be learning about American History this year. We will read books, do games, activities and make lapbooks for added enjoyment.

Gospel Study:

Aside from our family scripture study and Family Home Evening. We will be studying the New Testament. We will read the beginning reader- New Testament Stories. We will be watching videos from Living Scriptures: New Testament (We love these!!) We will practice songs from the Children’s Songbook and work on Scripture Mastery.

Reading:

I will be reading a lot of picture books as well as chapter books. I will ask them to tell me what I read to them or draw a picture about what I have read.

Other:

We will be watching Signing Time Videos  as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment